PRESIDENT JONATHAN TO MISS FINAL
Posted: Feb 09, 2013
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan will no longer grace the AFCON final probably bowing to public pressure not to distract the team.
A top official simply told MTNFootball.com: “President Jonathan will no loner be in the final on Sunday in Johannesburg. He most probably bowed to pressure from home that he should just allow the team finish the business on Sunday and then bring home the cup on Tuesday.”
Presidential spokesman Reuben Abati also confirmed on his Twitter page that the President will instead be in London on another official assignment.
Senate President David Mark will now lead the federal government’s delegation to the game.
Several state governors will also be on this delegation.
Fans have kicked against such delegations, saying they have often distracted the country’s teams from clinching the ultimate prize.
President Jonathan has months earlier promised the team he would be at the final of the continental showpiece event should they get this far.
He has personally supported the team in their quest for a third Nations Cup crown and spoke to the entire squad before their semi-final showdown with Mali in Durban.
Nigeria last won this tournament in Tunisia in 1994.
Today on Complete Sports
Most Recent Stories
- » Standard Chartered Trophy 2013: Anti-climax Finish For Nigeria As Thailand Emerge Champions (0 comments)
- » Mikel Opts out Of Mexico Friendly (0 comments)
- » Yobo Eyes Turkish Cup Win With Fenerbahce (0 comments)
- » Thailand Win 2013 SC Trophy, Nigeria Are Also-ran (0 comments)
- » Beach Soccer Championship: Nigeria Draw Egypt, Civ, Libya (0 comments)
- » Davis Cup: Nigeria Coach Blames Injuries For Failure (0 comments)
- » Cristiano Ronaldo Shows Moves In Chicken Advert (0 comments)