Mikel Praises Keshi 'Gamble'
Posted: Feb 10, 2013
Nigeria midfielder John Mikel Obi has praised the courage of coach Stephen Keshi in selecting a young squad as Nigeria prepare to play the Africa Cup of Nations Final.
Keshi dropped star players Oaze Oemwingie, Obafemi Martins, Taye Taiwo, Uche Kalu and more, in favour of younger talent, and has seen his decision rewarded with the country’s first Final in 13 years.
Mikel says it is a gamble that deserves credit.
“All credit must go to the coach who took a gamble on a very young squad, because I’m just 25-years-old but am looking like the oldest in the team,” Mikel said.
The balance of youth and experience has ensured a stable dressing room, and helped the team bond, according to the Chelsea star.
“We are together, united and playing for each other and that has accounted for where we are today.
“This team will not only win the trophy on Sunday for the Nigerian people but will win many more trophies for a long time to come,” he added.
Today on Complete Sports
- » Ugbade: Eaglets'll Start W/Cup Preparation In June (0 comments)
- » Lewis Hamilton Pimps Helmet With Cartoon Of Girlfriend And Dog For Monaco Grand Prix (0 comments)
- » Welcome to Anfield (0 comments)
- » 'Xavi: Jose's Truly the Special One (0 comments)
- » AKPALA, OGU, BABATUNDE STORM SUPER EAGLES CAMP (0 comments)
Most Recent Stories
- » Kano Pillars Thump Kaduna United 3-2, Reclaim Top Spot (0 comments)
- » Oduamadi Joins Eagles Thursday (0 comments)
- » Martins Promises More Sounders Goals (0 comments)
- » Kryvbas Reject Offer For Michael (0 comments)
- » OSUCHUKWU: I WANT TO WIN U-20 W/CUP WITH F/EAGLES (0 comments)
- » Sanogo: Arsenal is my Choice (0 comments)
- » Jovetic Set for £24.5m Arsenal move (0 comments)
There are no comments