Sone Aluko Eyes AFCON 2013 Spot
Posted: Nov 18, 2012
Aluko says he would have no hesitation in answering Nigeria's call for the African Cup of Nations, but stressed his immediate focus is on maintaining Hull City's climb up the Championship.
Aluko has been a revelation since his summer move from Rangers and his form has drawn speculation he will be considered by Nigeria for January's flagship tournament.
Although a lack of international recognition since the forward's move to the KC suggests a call-up is unlikely, his potential absence at the African Cup of Nations could have a significant bearing on City's promotion bid.
Aluko, who returns to boyhood club Birmingham with the Tigers today, insists he has given little thought to the prospect of a call-up from the Super Eagles, but knows he could never shy away from the chance if it arose.
"It's one of those things where if it comes, it comes," Aluko told the Mail.
"I'd be happy and I'd go because everyone wants to represent their country.
"But no one has a right to play and no one can demand to play.
"If the call doesn't come then I'll carry on playing here and doing what I do.
"Club football is your bread and butter and that's the most important thing for me at this time."
Including a two-week preparation period from January 5, players reaching the African Cup of Nations final stages could be absent for six weeks.
Should Aluko make the cut for Nigeria the Tigers could miss their star striker for up to five Championship games as well as any FA Cup action.
With just eight weeks left before the Cup begins in South Africa on January 19, though, Aluko is facing an uphill battle to force his way into head coach Stephen Keshi's plans.
Today on Complete Sports
- » Ugbade: Eaglets'll Start W/Cup Preparation In June (0 comments)
- » Lewis Hamilton Pimps Helmet With Cartoon Of Girlfriend And Dog For Monaco Grand Prix (0 comments)
- » Welcome to Anfield (0 comments)
- » 'Xavi: Jose's Truly the Special One (0 comments)
- » AKPALA, OGU, BABATUNDE STORM SUPER EAGLES CAMP (0 comments)
Most Recent Stories
- » Kano Pillars Thump Kaduna United 3-2, Reclaim Top Spot (0 comments)
- » Oduamadi Joins Eagles Thursday (0 comments)
- » Martins Promises More Sounders Goals (0 comments)
- » Kryvbas Reject Offer For Michael (0 comments)
- » OSUCHUKWU: I WANT TO WIN U-20 W/CUP WITH F/EAGLES (0 comments)
- » Sanogo: Arsenal is my Choice (0 comments)
- » Jovetic Set for £24.5m Arsenal move (0 comments)
There are no comments