PRESIDENT JONATHAN LAUDS SUPER EAGLES
Posted: Feb 11, 2013
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday congratulated the Super Eagles for winning the Africa Cup of Nations title with a 1-0 final victory over Burkina Faso.
"President Jonathan thanks coach Stephen Keshi and all members of the team who have worked very hard...to make Nigeria the proud champions of Africa once again after 19 years of setbacks in the competition," his office said in a statement.
"The President also believes that having conquered Africa, the new Super Eagles can go on to achieve even greater glory at the World Cup in Brazil next year," it said.
Jonathan expressed appreciation to the South African government and the Confederation of African Football for a well-organised tournament and promised to hold a reception for the victorious Super Eagles in Abuja on Tuesday.
Nigeria ended a 19-year title drought with the victory over Burkina Faso at Soccer City in Soweto thanks to a late first-half goal from local-based player Sunday Mba.
It was a result that also took coach Keshi into the record books as he equalled the feat of late Egyptian Mahmoud El Gohary by winning gold medals as a player and a Coach.
Today on Complete Sports
Most Recent Stories
- » Mexico Set To Unleash Chicharito On Eagles (0 comments)
- » Mikel, Moses May Miss Eagles' Germany Camp (0 comments)
- » Ike Uche Sure Of La Liga Promotion (0 comments)
- » SC Trophy Final 2013: Nigeria Drawn With Cup Holders Singapore (0 comments)
- » Ikhana Canvasses NFF's Support For Rangers (0 comments)
- » Ukrainian Club Rues Odibe Exit (0 comments)
- » Top Seven (7) Highest Paid Nigerian Footballers (0 comments)