Pitroipa Delighted To Play in Final
Posted: Feb 10, 2013
Burkina Faso forward Jonathan Pitroipa is delighted the red card he got in the Africa Cup of Nations semi-final win against Ghana has been overturned.
The forward picked up a second yellow card for simulation and the red card meant that he would miss the Final against Nigeria on Sunday.
It was confirmed yesterday by CAF that the red card had been rescinded after referee Slim Jedidi admitted he got the decision wrong after the match on Wednesday.
“I’m glad because for me to participate in this Final was the goal,” Pitroipa told France Football.
“I was disappointed to receive the red card because it would mean I could not fulfil my dream to play in the final.
“To participate in a final of the Africa Cup of Nations is the dream of every kid who loves African football. I am very happy to participate.
“I was told that the referee had acknowledged his error and normally it would be good for me but at the time it was not official.
“After the red card, at the time, I was shocked. Even if the score was 1-1 in my head I thought we were going to qualify for the final and I was not going to participate,” he added.
Pitroipa was thankful for all the support from teammates and the public.
“I thank all those who supported me, from Burkina Faso and from the outside, my teammates at Rennes and even former teammates like Vincent Kompany who sent a message on Twitter,” he said.
Today on Complete Sports
Most Recent Stories
- » Amata Makes IAAF Diamond League Debut In New York (0 comments)
- » 3SC Appoint Busari Substantive Coach (0 comments)
- » Kenya Replace Oliech With Agogo For Eagles Clash (0 comments)
- » Kenya Begin Preparation For Eagles Clash Monday (0 comments)
- » Yobo Relishes Turkish Cup Win (0 comments)
- » Ugbade: Eaglets'll Start W/Cup Preparation In June (0 comments)
- » Lewis Hamilton Pimps Helmet With Cartoon Of Girlfriend And Dog For Monaco Grand Prix (0 comments)
There are no comments